Wednesday, July 8, 2009

back to the fabric rose issue....

so I went to the craft store and found a lighter weight fake duponi silk, although they don't have it in the purple I need....grrr. But I'm going to try the flowers with it and see if the looks is more what I want. I'm still stumped on how the women I'm getting the inspiration from is making her flowers. I can tell she is doing the "folded" approch but it looks so diffrent from mine. I might need to make my fabric tube much longer, tack less and do more of a roll then a fold. I love this idea though using the flower as a write corsage. So far I have been very lax with what my bridesmaids are to wear, my only request being that it be a black dress that isn't too hoochie. I want everyone to wear one of these flowers to unify us. I am going to wear mine in my hair but I was going to offer to put a pin back on it if they rather wear it as a pin. I love the idea of it as a cosage for the wrist. I think i'll add some tulle and see how it looks. Here is the "real" version.

My version later to come in the day.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

the great fabric rose debate

Well for my wedding hair-do I would really like to have a silk fabric rose like the one in this shop
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21205660 however she doesn't have the exact type of purple/gray that I want. She has gray and it looks like at one time she had purple...but no exact match...that and they are a little pricey for my taste.

So I went to the fabric store and got some fake duponi silk that was on sale and was amazingly close to the Victorian lilac color we choose for the wedding. (P.S. I will be making pocket squares out of this material for all the groomsmen)

Next I went hunting online for directions to make fabric roses/ rununclus. I found a lot of instructions for wire ribbon roses and three different types of "roses" that I decided to try. Sadly none of them look just like the ones in the link above...but hey if you aren't will to pay you have to compromise right?

So rose/flower 1 uses the old fold, sew a tube, turn it inside out and pull method that we used to use to make scrunchies during elementary school. I can't find the exact link I used right now but this link has same basic idea... http://maizehutton.blogspot.com/2007/08/frayed-flower.html and now in an attempt to post my first photo int he blog this is the photo of the finished flower. I considered doing it with both a plastic pearl bead and a cotton. You can see I went for the button. And to show that I have learned how to edit photos in Picnik a cropped version of the flower with the pearl.

Overall I think this is a cute flower but is not the look I am going for. It would be nice on some kids clothing though.

So onto the next tutorial, this one is on how to make a folded rose. I fudged a little and did not fold and iron my fabric into a true bias tape. Instead I just pressed it in half with a iron so I had a open tube like the first flower. This time I followed this set of directions... so this one took a lot more time and in the end I think I was tacking the petals down to much in the center of the rose. But the overall look is nice. I wish I had a single rhinestone to put in the middle. That will require a trip to the craft store...oh shucks ;) Gosh the second photo is out of focus...sorry!
This a very nice rose but still not the look I am going for. It is almost too rose, too tight and realistic...I want more of that ruffly look from the ranunculus. I can see this being a great detail on a sweater or shirt though.


Attempt three: When I found directions for this one last night the instructions didn't have any photos and it made NO sense to me so I went to sleep thinking I would try again in the morning...in the morning the directions still did not make sense so I searched till I found this tutorial that was the same directions just with photos this time... scroll down till you get to the tutorial part http://couturesmith.com/2008/11/30/flower-power-a-tutorial/ .
Now that I had photos this made MUCH more sense and was super quick to do with a little tacking to get it into the shape I wanted. Once again I really wish i had a rhinestone to place in the middle. Blog then shop. Now for photos of the finished flower.





This is the closest I have gotten to the look I want. It's still not a light looking at the orinall item I'm trying to imitate. I'm pretty sure she is using a lighter weight silk. However this is the best I can do with Jo-ann fabrics, three weeks to go and a strange color pallet. When I make them into some headwear I will post photos.