Sunday, March 7, 2010

tempra landscapes

I should have taken more photos of these because they turned out surprisingly well. They were done by some very cranky 6th-8th graders who had just come back from winter break and were having a major attitude problem. I told them they could not use clay till their attitudes improved and made them paint with tempera and a very structured lesson for a few days to settle down. I had them do a basic farm/landscape drawing with simple perspective. Each art work SHOULD have the two most basic forms of perspective....overlapping hills, trees and/or rows of crops that get larger as they come towards you. Then I had some students work on atmospheric perspective...but they still get really confused about that concept so it is backwards on some paintings. Oh well. As long as they followed my drawing guidelines I told them they could paint the thing whatever colors they wanted. That is totally my way of dealing with middle school kids...freedom within extreme structure. That way I get what I want and they get to have choices. I was pleased with how my 8th grade students voluntarily choose distinct color schemes to use such as secondary, triad or monochromatic color themes. They made that choice on their OWN; not forced or prompted by me. To me that is the proof in the pudding that artistic behavior has been taught.

an attempt at atmospheric perspective using tints and shades
nice monochromatic color scheme going on
secondary color as primary color scheme

I think you could pull this off with a 5th grade group that feels comfortable paintings.

Next up...our Greek coil pottery using black slip incising ....

No comments:

Post a Comment