Sunday, April 3, 2011

daffodils, digital cameras and ditching


Today's post is brought to you by the letter D.
D is for digital camera battery charger....as in I have lost mine. My husband and I have taken the house apart looking for it with no luck. Hence the lack of posts lately. Part of me wants to hold all the kids art to photograph when I get a new charger but my classroom is tinny so I just keep handing everything back without photograph evidence. I really hope a few teachers put their students art in the hall so I can go take photos later.

D is for daffodils the flower that pops up to show it is spring in Oregon and the daffodils are out in full force around the school. Kinder - 2nd will do daffodil projects this week. Its so crafty but the kinders make daffodils with construction paper and egg carton cups painted yellow...much like this one from notes to emily


For 1st grade I dig up one daffodil per table so the kids can see the bulb and roots attached and we do an above and below ground observational drawing with oil pastel and label the part of the plant then add watercolor and some yellow and orange tissue paper to be the sticking out center of the flower.

2nd grade does a similar lesson but is required to draw 3 daffodils, each one from a different angle. I admit I use a starter sheet (cheat sheet) for the 2nd grade lesson. I give the kids drawing paper with 3 dots or U shapes that show where the daffodils should be on the paper. From there we do step by step drawing each view of the daffodils. Side, front and bottom. Inspiration comes from this sketch at C knotes ... we add color with watercolor/oil pastels


D is for ditching. Teaching middle school in the spring is not for the faint of heart. Well teaching middle school is never for the faint of heart but spring can be extra painful. I'm not sure if this was possible before texting and facebook...but our students can mobilize a grade wide ditch day in under 24 hours now. On Friday when only 10 of my 27 1st period students showed up I knew ditching season had hit in full force. The kids who bothered to come confirmed that yes it was a 7-8th ditch day due to it being April 1st. They will all ditch again on the 20th of this month and most will not bother to come the first 2 hours of the school day during the week that 6th graders are at outdoor school. Although our school auto dials home as soon as I take attendance saying a student is absent, still some of my students ditch one or more days a week.
Not only should the kids be in school to learn, but having kids constantly ditching makes it impossible to get classes working at a similar speed and schedule. Very annoying.

1 comment:

  1. Ohmygod I can't believe my middle schoolers haven't thought of that yet! Yikes. It's hard enough to keep classes on track without rampant ditching! Loving the daffodils...especially the 1st grade above/below ground observational drawing. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete