Wednesday, September 21, 2011

what do you call this?

Thanks everyone! We have the right word has been agreed that this gradation. Or gradating colors.

I'm having an art vocabulary issue. We have been looking at the work of Peter Max and I can't come up with the right word for when you move from one color to another color in small steps when painting. With adding white you would call it tinting, when adding black you would call it shading, but let's say we are moving from yellow to red and making yellow orange, orange and red orange along the way. It's not monochromatic.... I keep calling it verigating but I'm not sure if that is the right word. I know how to teach it but I don't know what to name it!
Please help:)


  1. I would call it gradations. gra·da·tion
       /greɪˈdeɪʃən/ Show Spelled[grey-dey-shuhn] Show IPA
    any process or change taking place through a series of stages, by degrees, or in a gradual manner.
    a stage, degree, or grade in such a series.
    the passing of one tint or shade of color to another, or one surface to another, by very small degrees, as in painting or sculpture.
    the act of grading.

    Hope this helps!

  2. Analogous. We use this term all the time. I explain it as moving toward your next door neighbor.

  3. I would call it "graded color" (or color gradation). Does that sound right maybe? Verigated I believe means streaks or patches of different color (like those yarns that change color in the skein). But maybe that word would work too?

    Love Peter Max!! I'm hoping to get to him this year too, but my ideas are all rather ambitious, so we'll see... Meanwhile I look forward to seeing what you are going to do!

  4. I think I would call it "gradation"....

  5. Oops! I guess I read the post wrong. My husband who works in graphics agreed with Gradient. But if you are mixing colors ( as it sounds like you are doing) you then get the tertiary color. Any way I am excited to see this project! :)